Devid Heran and James Lees, two young New Yorkers, established Heran & Lees in 1842 as a commission merchant house in New York City. Later, Henry Bell Laidlaw assumed leadership of the firm and was joined by his brother Charles E Laidlaw and the firm changed its name to Laidlaw & Co in 1873.
Laidlaw & Company became a member of the Wall Street New York Stock Exchange (WSNYSE) in 1878 where Charles Laidlaw becomes a Governor of the Exchanges over the next 13 years.
In 1880, the firm moved to its 30-year home of 14 Wall Street and became the first NYSE member firm to establish securities branches in Toronto and Montreal after acquiring a substantial stock brokerage “wire” business in 1901.
Today, Laidlaw has a 170-year legacy of focusing on the needs of domestic and global companies, trade entrepreneurs, organizations and private clients worldwide by providing investment banking and wealth management services to institutions and individuals in the United States and the United Kingdom.
Laidlaw has a mounting network of agencies in the United States and Europe with over 150 associates working under dual SEC authorization and FINRA registration, allowing the firm to cultivate relationships, develop new business and take care of individual clients on a global basis.